Each year at the Desiring God Pastor’s Conference, John Piper covers the life of a notable saint. The manner in which he presents the material is both interesting and convicting, honest and insightful, challenging and encouraging. I cannot say how much I have appreciated these lectures over the years.
Not only is the past brought to life, but God is magnified through the unfolding of a Christian life. That’s what I really appreciate. The saint is honored, no doubt, but it is God who is at the center of the discussion. He is the One working all things after the counsel of His will. He is the one who makes the saints great, for He is the One who wills and works in them (Phil 2:12-13). And Piper doesn’t lose sight of this fact. God is the One ultimately praised, not man.
As Augustine once said, “When God crowns our merits, He crowns nothing else but His own gifts.”
I could certainly highlight each biography, but there is no need. Every single one is good. Very good (But I recall especially enjoying the ones on Calvin, Augustine, C.S. Lewis, John Patton and Adoniram Judson).
Feast away, dear listeners.
- Lessons from an Inconsolable Soul
Learning from the Mind and Heart of C. S. Lewis
- Evangelist Bill Piper: Fundamentalist Full of Grace and Joy
- Holy Faith, Worthy Gospel, World Vision
Andrew Fuller’s Broadsides Against Sandemanianism, Hyper-Calvinism, and Global Unbelief
- Always Singing One Note—A Vernacular Bible
Why William Tyndale Lived and Died
- Contending for Our All
The Life and Ministry of Athanasius
- George Mueller’s Strategy for Showing God
Simplicity of Faith, Sacred Scripture, and Satisfaction in God
- How Few There Are Who Die So Hard!
Suffering and Success in the Life of Adoniram Judson: The Cost of Bringing Christ to Burma
- Peculiar Doctrines, Public Morals, and the Political Welfare
Reflections on the Life and Labor of William Wilberforce
- John Newton: The Tough Roots of His Habitual Tenderness
- You Will Be Eaten by Cannibals! Lessons from the Life of John G. Paton
- To Live Upon God that Is Invisible
Suffering and Service in the Life of John Bunyan
- The Swan Is Not Silent
Sovereign Joy in the Life and Thought of St. Augustine
- The Divine Majesty of the Word
John Calvin: The Man and His Preaching
- Martin Luther: Lessons from His Life and Labor
- Charles Spurgeon: Preaching Through Adversity
- The Chief Design of My Life: Mortification and Universal Holiness
Reflections on the Life and Thought of John Owen
- J. Gresham Machen’s Response to Modernism
- Insanity and Spiritual Songs in the Soul of a Saint
Reflections on the Life of William Cowper
- A Passion for Christ-Exalting Power
Martyn Lloyd-Jones on the Need for Revival and Baptism with the Holy Spirit
- Oh, That I May Never Loiter On My Heavenly Journey!
Reflections on the Life and Ministry of David Brainerd
- Brothers, We Must Not Mind a Little Suffering
Meditations on the Life of Charles Simeon
- The Pastor as Theologian
Life and Ministry of Jonathan Edwards
Must Listen Factor: Must Listen!
To download audio, follow the links and download.